When? – On Wednesday, August 26,
Who? – Middle School (except 6th grade) and High school
At what time? – 6:00 p.m.
• Parents will meet the school director at the cafeteria (40 min max).
• Then, they will go to their classrooms to meet their children’s teachers.
• Teachers will visit rooms to present briefly to the parents.
What to do:
- Be prepared to inform parents about your class, curriculum, homework policy, discipline policy, important projects you want to work with the kids (a handout helps).
Give parents your contact information, e-mail, edline, meeting hours, etc.
Let parents know a little bit about you, your qualifications, experience, family background, hobbies.
Dress professionally! (first impressions matter).
Organize your classroom so that it reflects a nice learning environment.
Be polite and courteous, but do not let a particular parent monopolize the conversation or force you to give a personal opinion on school issues. If necessary, tell them that you would like to have a personal interview with them to discuss matters further. Be diplomatic!
Present things in a positive way. Although you do not want to discuss specific cases, if parents ask about their kids, always think of something positive to say first.
Ask parents to elect a class representative to the Parents’ Council. Let them deliberate and decide. Write down the name of chosen person.
What to expect:
• Parents who are eager to know you and your class.
• Opinions, suggestions, questions, and even complaints.
• A friendly community, proud of their school.